Old November 22nd 12, 03:39 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london
Portsmouth Rider Portsmouth Rider is offline

Default Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message

"Portsmouth Rider" wrote in message

"Graham Harrison" wrote in
message ...

wrote in message
On 25/08/2012 14:20, Graham Harrison wrote:

"Ernesto" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've seen this increase over the past few months - drivers unwilling
to open their doors between stops, but instead telling passengers
they
can press the emergency door control button themselves to alight from
the bus.

Anyone else seen this? Thoughts???

E.
--
"It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have..."

In different circumstances I've had exactly the opposite. Maybe 2/3
years ago a vintage double decker with open platform right next to the
pavement stuck in a traffic jam and the conductor point blank refused
allow me to get off.

Why didn't you just push past him? Were customers not allowed to alight
from a Routemaster if the bus had come to a full stop in traffic?

He was standing with his hands on the stanchions either side of the
platform with his back to the centre pole. I used the word Vintage
deliberately; it was not a PSV operation but a private operation from
city centre to what I'll call an attraction on the outskirts. Had I
pushed by there was a significant risk one, or both, of us might have
been hurt in the resulting tumble from the bus.

The contract - and the TC's licence - was therefore likely to have been
between two specific points. If you wanted a journey that was not covered
by the contract and/or operating licence, you should have used a
different service. Or a taxi. Or walked.

The ride was one part of a whole. On the way back we got stuck in a jam
near my destination. The bus destination was further on and I would have
had to walk back (which I subsequently did). I'm old enough to have used
open platform buses and I therefore went into what I might call a "mode"
associated with such buses and just assumed that, as I had in the past, I
could disembark while the bus was stopped. I will admit I was irritated
by the actions of the conductor (who perhaps was more accurately the
platform manager since he wasn't collecting fares) but he wasn't going to
back down and I had no desire to push him out of the way so I accepted the
inevitable. I've no doubt he was correct; my guess is that their insurance
requires them to act in this way.

Absolutely. Same sort of thing happens on Rail Replacement trips...
passengers want to be let off all over the place, when the contract is for
either actual railway station forecourts, or suitable SPECIFIED bus stops on
the main road nearby. I've actually had passengers forcing the emergency
door at traffic lights. And once you allow one passenger a unspecified stop,
they all want one - when you have to get the bus (and through passengers) on
to the station where the train set has been nailed together again, with the
minimum of delay.....