Old November 23rd 12, 12:59 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london
Portsmouth Rider Portsmouth Rider is offline

Default Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 12:22:06 on Fri, 23 Nov
2012, Graeme Wall remarked:
I believe bus replacement services have designated "bus stops",

No, they just stop on a country road somewhere near the station.

which wouldn't include "middle of the high street".

Unless the station's there, in which case my requirement would not arise.

Therefore the insurance angle might still apply.

But there are official bus stops in the High Street.

Yes. Those official stops are for those bus services that have been
authorised by the Traffic Commissioners to call at them as part of their
licenced route. They are operating a "Bus Route".

When the National Train Set is broken, buses (the vehicle TYPE) are
contracted in by the rail authorities to bridge the gap between the bits
that still work. They are CONTRACTED to call at specific points, be those
railway stations, or SPECIFIED points near those railway stations. (e.g. on
A27 between Havant and Chichester, the vehicle stays ON the A27 and does not
go up the side roads to the stations). This is a contracted service. The
general public are not carried: the only passengers who should use it are
train passengers as directed by the railway people, and rail staff, and
employees of the bus company when carrying out duties associated with the
service (which includes route learning). In short: the rail replacement
service is NOT a Local Bus Service and does not operate under the licences
issued by the Traffic Commissioners as a Local Bus Service, and a driver who
takes it upon himself to provide such a service without lawful excuse is
breaking the law.

Try getting off a National Express service at ANY bus stop along its route.
They only (legally) stop at very specified points. (Yes, I KNOW some drivers
allow the concept of a "Coin Operated Door" - but it is wrong, they may get
away with it, for a while!)

HTH HAND MTG HT MDTBOTBP