Old November 23rd 12, 03:24 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london
Mike Bristow Mike Bristow is offline

Default Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding here. I'm not asking
the bus driver to vary his route to drop me off, merely to let me off
the bus at a point closer to my actual destination than the station.

This will cost all the other passengers on the bus about a minute,
for the bus to slow down, stop, and for you to gather your bits and
depart, and for the driver to set off again and get back to linespeed.

One minute probably doesn't matter too much, but if everyone on the
bus has the same attitude, then soon the bus is an hour later than
it would otherwise have been. And that's not fair on the poor sod
at the end of the line.

While I would clearly be happy to walk back from the station of
delivered there on time by train, being delivered there an hour or more
late by bus seems to me to shift the burden of responsibility back onto
the rail company (and their bus).

It may, of course, be sensible for the TOC to arrange for bustitution
services to stop at both the station and the village high street in
the example you cite; but even if that's true, it's their decision as
how best to try an minimize the inconvience to all their passengers,
not just you.

--
Mike Bristow