Old April 3rd 04, 03:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mark Brader Mark Brader is offline

Default Subway (New York) vs Underground (London) [Quite long]

Paul Corfield writes:
Some of the other observations are responses to societal problems -
upholstered seats would never work in NYC given the prevalence of
vandalism and graffiti. I agree that metal or plastic seats are not
comfy but it would be far too expensive to provide them.

Actually, I wonder if that's still true now. The totally graffiti-
covered trains that you used to see 25 years ago are a thing of the
past, thanks to vigilant enforcement and improved security at the
yards (depots). Maybe the environment has also improved to where
proper seats could be reintroduced.

And New York does beat London on two other issues of onboard comfort:
all trains are air-conditioned, and with no "tube profile" trains, the
whole floor area is available for standing if needed.

On the whole I find the London system a much more pleasant environment,
but slower-moving and, of course, more expensive for most trips.
--
Mark Brader "Inventions reached their limit long ago,
Toronto and I see no hope for further development."