Old November 24th 12, 08:02 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london
Malcolm Loades Malcolm Loades is offline

Default Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In message , Roland Perry
writes
The thoughtless pratts are the people who think it's clever to make the
bus passengers walk a mile in the dark and the rain, rather than
dropping them off somewhere more convenient that they happened to be
passing.

I am not a thoughtless prat and I certainly don't think it clever to
refuse to stop wherever I'm requested. In fact, I find it quite hard to
say no. However, once a driver has said 'yes' to the first person to ask
he must then say 'yes' to every other request to drop passengers where
they want. To act in any other way would be totally unfair.

The first requester may be young fit and travelling without luggage so a
quick stop to drop them off would seem quite reasonable. But, as I
said, you can't then reasonably refuse the next passenger who may be
frail and travelling with luggage stored in the luggage space which then
has to be retrieved.

It may surprise you, but I promise it's true, that once passengers
realise that you will stop by request their requests become ever more
demanding. You drop one passenger and just as you pull away another
request is made for 'the next corner, please' which is less than 100
yards further on! It can become quite ridiculous but you can't then
start inventing rules like stops must be at least 800 yards apart!

Malcolm