Old November 26th 12, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london
Graeme Wall Graeme Wall is offline

Default Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

On 26/11/2012 11:47, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:33:40 on Mon, 26 Nov
2012, Graeme Wall remarked:
What particular words are you saying I put into mouths in this thread?

The ludicrous claim that various people were stating that alighting in
an unlit country lane, muddy verges, optional, was safer than at a
well lit bus stop in a random high street.

That's my response to a claim that the muddy verge has been approved as
a drop-off point whereas the bus stop hasn't. I'm glad you agree with me
that the bus stop is in practice safer (even if the lack of formal
approval by the ToC's inspector brings other potential issues).

And if you will trim posts to the point that all context is lost then
I can't be bothered to trace back through the thread(s) to find what
the devil you are rabbiting on about this time.

The legality of non-buses stopping at bus stops.

Not legal, end of discussion.

You said "the RRS bus is not authorised to use them", and someone else
then says the Highway Code prohibits unauthorised users stopping at bus
stops.

I make a point of never quoting the Highway Code.

But I agree with you that it's not a "legal" [MUST NOT] prohibition,
unless we go with your comment about it invalidating the bus's
insurance, meaning it's operating without insurance and therefore
illegally.

IANAL but I suspect that would be the case.

Anecdote time. I was on a tram in Brussels stopped in a traffic queue
and a passenger pursuaded the driver to let him off only to step
straight into the path of a car passing on the inside being in a
right-turn lane that had got the green light. The hazards of letting
people off willy nilly are real.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail