Old April 3rd 04, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.transport.london
Clive Clive is offline

Default Electric or Hybrid Card or something car, suggestions?

In message ,
writes

Sorry , I disagree. The only thing in diesels favour is its lower fuel
consumption. Thats it. Diesels max rpm are limited by the physical
characterstics of the fuel , which results in a lower max power for a
given engine size than a petrol engine (when was the last time you saw
15,000 rpm diesel motorbike engine or a diesel F1 car?) , their
throttle response frankly is rubbish in comparison , they're heavier
and the combustion process at full power is a mess (how many times have
you seen even a new diesel vehicle belching out black soot) and because
of this they can't use catalytic converters and to get any reasonable
power out of a diesel you have to shove on an expensive turbo. Yes
diesels put out more torque than a petrol engine of equiv size but
thats easily solved by different gearing on the petrol. The lack of
power however can't be solved by gearing.

To be honest diesel engines are a prehistoric bit of kit which belong
alongside steam engines in a museum and which only still exist because
of their *slightly* higher fuel efficiency than petrol (and if you
measure it by weight of fuel used and not volume the story isn't so
rosy for diesel as you'd imagine) and slightly less maintence. If
diesel prices were to rise relative to petrol the diesel car (and
possibly other vehicles) would soon vanish off the roads and the sooner
the better IMO.

B2003

I sometimes try trolling, but at least I'm honest about it, and I know a
few facts before I start, the rubbish above shows just how little you
know about the different fuelling systems in current use on just cars
alone.
--
Clive