Old November 27th 12, 02:38 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In message , at 15:02:50 on
Tue, 27 Nov 2012, remarked:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 10:18:09 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 01:10:57 on
Tue, 27 Nov 2012,
remarked:

Read the Highway Code.

all the people who arrive in cars who use this post box
http://goo.gl/maps/jYOhd

Those cars, and the buses, are also infringing the "32ft from a
junction" rule. And no, the bus stop is not marked as a parking place.

True, but as a Do Not it is an advisory rule rather than a Must not.
The roads are hardly busy and the only thing to park there for long is
to get some free range eggs.

Sure, and yet I'm being hounded for suggesting stopping at a deserted
bus stop late in the evening to let someone off a rail replacement bus.

And I was really highlighting that a lot of things we do can be
sensible in some circumstances and not in others.

Then we are in fierce agreement!

And your stopping in a bus stop to drop somebody off especially if
they intend getting a bus from there providing it's not actually
obstructing the bus operation is hardly the crime of the
century,Parking there while nipping into a nearby shop would be
different.

All agreed.

To balance that expecting bus drivers to do a special stop
when they are operating in a rail replacement is a bit much.

But not because the bus will be blocking the bus stop. So we can dismiss
(aka debunk) that particular reason, and concentrate on the remainder.
(Which should cut down the noise here considerably).

Other passengers can be sods and I wouldn't want to risk upsetting
someone who may be jealous of the favour granted to you

That's why it shouldn't be a "favour", but part of the normal operation
of the bus. And would also serve to inform passengers about where could
expect to be dropped off (eg: Certain named stops already on the bus's
route).

Common Sense in this situation applies to persuading the Traffic
Commissioners that stopping at one of "their" bus stops isn't in
competition with stage buses, and persuading the insurance company that
it isn't especially unsafe to get off a bus at a bus stop. And of course
creating the right expectations in the passengers about it not being a
"non-stop" bus and they are both able to, and should be tolerant of,
getting off en-route at designated places.