Old November 29th 12, 11:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Contactless ('wave-and-pay') payment progress?

Paul Corfield wrote:

I know next to nothing about how Pay Wave / EMV card security works.

I think in a not dissimilar way to signatures but without the signature,
IYSWIM. Randomly it seems to decline and request the PIN, which I guess
would prevent someone nicking one and running up a big bill.

However EMV is used for low value transactions by a growing number of
retailers without PIN validation. I assume that whatever is deemed
reasonable for retailers would broadly be OK for bus travel given a
PAYG fare is only £1.35. You'd have to be going some to be able to
rip off anything like a large sum of money ;-)

Stagecoach Lancashire appear to be already taking them, at least on the
Lakes 555. The limit I think is 15 quid per transaction, and there may
well be an unpublished daily cap.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.