Old April 3rd 04, 08:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Subway (New York) vs Underground (London) [Quite long]

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 15:21:12 -0000, (Mark Brader) wrote:

Paul Corfield writes:
Some of the other observations are responses to societal problems -
upholstered seats would never work in NYC given the prevalence of
vandalism and graffiti. I agree that metal or plastic seats are not
comfy but it would be far too expensive to provide them.

Actually, I wonder if that's still true now. The totally graffiti-
covered trains that you used to see 25 years ago are a thing of the
past, thanks to vigilant enforcement and improved security at the
yards (depots). Maybe the environment has also improved to where
proper seats could be reintroduced.

I know the paint graffiti has been dealt with but the scratch or dutch
graffiti was awful the last time I visited and the OP's post seems to
indicate no change. The only problem is that London is following New
York's downward spiral on the graffiti issue.

I think the maintenance issue would be the killer - metal and plastic
seats are very easy to clean and you do not have problems with seat
padding or ripped upholstery. There is also no risk of litter and drug
paraphernalia being stuffed into or between seats with metal or plastic
seats - unlike with seat cushions. I must prefer the Tube's seats and am
not looking forward to losing the relative comfort of the Victoria Line
seats when we get the new trains which I suspect will be narrow, firm
and uncomfortable.

And New York does beat London on two other issues of onboard comfort:
all trains are air-conditioned, and with no "tube profile" trains, the
whole floor area is available for standing if needed.

Can't argue with those points.

On the whole I find the London system a much more pleasant environment,
but slower-moving and, of course, more expensive for most trips.

On the slow moving aspect I'd counter that it depends what sort of trip
you are making. LUL seems to offer a much more frequent service than the
Subway. I can recall waiting for quite long periods to get specific
trains on shared routes in New York even in the rush hour. I'll agree
that once an express turns up it is quick but the lack of frequency
counts against speed in terms of assessing total journey time. My
argument may fall down on a line like the 7 in New York which is self
contained and therefore you only have a choice between an all stops and
an Express.
--
Paul C