Old December 2nd 12, 11:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Contactless ('wave-and-pay') payment progress?

In message , at 10:51:27 on
Sun, 2 Dec 2012, Richard remarked:
then it's like
having an Oyster and a PayWave in the same wallet, which already
causes trouble. My wallet, with Oyster, ITSO and a Spanish one (not
sure what standard that one is) is guaranteed to fail!

[Mizter T]
Well, what we can be sure of is that no-one at TfL could possibly have
considered this scenario...

[Roland Perry]
I'm sure they've thought of it,

By "this scenario" I meant possible issues with OnePulse, not more
general issues of multiple cards in a wallet.

but the answer might be "sorry you can't
use them". iirc it was touch and go that the Onepulse project carried
on (ie that any of the cards were replaced when they expired).

It's a reasonable enough answer, but if the majority of the cards in a
wallet/purse are now going to wake up and say hello it might not be a
good enough answer in future. PayWave and ITSO will be the new
neighbours more and more.

For a while the only two proximity cards in my wallet were Oyster and an
access card for one of my clients' front doors. The Oyster would
complain, but the front door didn't.

Nowadays, I have a much wider range of such cards, including at least
three Paywave enabled credit cards, a "Real" Oyster, as well as the
OnePulse, five ITSO cards, and a Nottingham City Transport bus card
(which is neither ITSO nor Oyster).

I'm unlikely to leave the house with all of them at once though!

Of course, people want to put this sort of functionality into mobile
phones too, but the problem there would seem to be: will it be Paywave,
ITSO, or some third incompatible technology; and how can they
realistically make a proximity phone useful if it only hosts just one
application (currently not even ITSO cards from the same issuer - eg
Stagecoach - are interoperable).