Old December 6th 12, 07:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] edward.harrison1@btinternet.com is offline

Default My first ride on a Borisbus

I've been in the area around Victoria this week and took advantage to have a ride on a Borisbus to Piccadilly. I'd seen them a couple of times but it took a day or 2 to realise that I could actually ride on one (doh!).

The exterior design is unusual. There's not much you can do with a bus but someone has had fun trying. For me the jury is out. They don't look bad but I'm not yet sure I'd go beyond interesting yet.

The interior lighting is somewhat subdued. I've also been riding the 36/436 this week and the interior is much brighter. I was surprised how narrow the front window is. It's part of the interesting exterior design but that element surprised me. Seats not anything special.

There were a few rattles. In some ways surprising but that's part of what a prototype batch is for. Let's hope they find the source and fix it.

I was impressed by the motors. The internal combustion engine (which I assume is diesel?) works on a stop/start basis (unless it kept stalling). The effect of the electric drive is akin to a trolleybus in that the diesel doesn't really accellerate. Quite good accelleration when required.

As we approached Piccadilly Circus I went to get off. I went down the middle stairs and it took me a moment or two to realise the rear platform was open. There was a staff member on the back platform who said absolutely nothing as I stepped off before we got to the stop. I did notice there's an oyster reader there. Is the platform presence there to ensure people touch in? I have to say I'm in favour of that back entrance but then I'm of the RT generation!

So summing up, I'm not wholly convinced it's particularly special but I do like the rear platform!