Old December 6th 12, 09:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
[email protected] boltar2003@boltar.world is offline

Default 2 flakes of snow and it all falls apart

On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 21:12:41 +0100
Jarle H Knudsen wrote:
On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 12:38:08 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:

Though you have to wonder how the metro systems
in places like canada and oslo manage to run when its -20C and snow a metre
deep.

The Oslo metro (T-bane, Tunnellbane) have a raised third rail with a cover
where the contact is made on the underside.

That may be so , but generally its not the 3rd rail that causes everything
to grind to a halt. Its usually snow in the motors or signal failures or
slipping wheels or frozen points or something else from the Big Bumper Book
of Railway Excuses (available at a Christmas discount from Poundshop no doubt).

And its really not that hard to fit trains with some brushes and de-icing
fluid to keep the 3rd rails clear and if it really becomes a problem I can't
see why they couldn't just cover the 3rd rails and use a US style slat contact
instead of shoes. I suspect a lot cheaper than converting to overhead.

B2003