Old December 14th 12, 10:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default London buses to offer contactless payment card option from tomorrow (12/12/12)

In message , at 11:18:02 on Fri, 14 Dec
2012, Kevin Ayton remarked:

There is a new generation of contactless bank cards coming along which
will contain 'transit sectors', allowing the transit / transport
application to record data on the card. But I have absolutely no idea
how different trasnport operators and schemes might share this data area.

The "Transport Application" would presumably be owned by the transport
authority (or possibly a clearing house) and only the owner would have
access.

So there might perhaps be a "TfL Transport Application" and later a
"Stagecoach Transport Application", or possibly a less useful "SWT
Trains Transport Application", or a more useful "ATOC Transport
Application".

What I'm not familiar with (and similarly for ITSO) is how many such
applications might be able to co-exist on one card.