Old December 14th 12, 11:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
D A Stocks[_2_] D A Stocks[_2_] is offline

Default Battersea Northern Line extension now done with a loan?

"Robin9" wrote in message

'D A Stocks[_2_ Wrote:
;134830']"77002" wrote in message
On 5 Dec, 16:39, wrote:
-
If the line is intended to replace the two existing Battersea stations
(accelerating services into Victoria and Waterloo), and would then
continue to Clapham Junction (for interchange with the mainlines) it
might make some sort of sense.-

Of one thing we can be very confident: Clapham Junction will *never*
have an
interchange with a tube line. Just imagine the cost.

D A Stocks

I imagine the unavoidable costs would be quite high and the costs
provided by TfL would be astronomical. Everything done by TfL costs
about twenty-five times as much as it should. Why should high costs
prevent a Clapham Junction interchange station? Did high costs
discourage TfL from rebuilding Victoria Underground Station?

I'm not sure what 'rebuilding' at Victoria you are talking about. The
Victoria line itself offered clear benefits in terms of giving mainline
passengers access to West End and opened up the possibility of cross-London
access to Eauston and Kings Cross/St Pancras. The interchange provided then
was largely an extension to what was there before. It's getting some much
needed improvements now that will benefit a large number of existing users,
especially the large number of Victoria Line users who want to get to and
from the Victoria area as a destination in its own right, rather than as an
interchange with the mainline station.

Providing mainline travellers with an interchange to the Northern Line at
Clapham Junction would be a vast cost for very little additional benefit
given that the money has already been spent to provide interchanges with the
Northern at Waterloo and London Bridge.

--
DAS