Old December 17th 12, 07:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London buses to offer contactless payment card option from tomorrow (12/12

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 12:04:38 on Mon, 17
Dec 2012, tim..... remarked:
It needs fixing such that if you over-run the timeout the next touch
in, if it is at a station that is a possible part of an OSI, closes the
previous journey and opens a new one.

Unfortunately it has to close the previous touch in/out. That's why
it's non trivial to solve. But it can't be impossible

The simplest suggestion, which I mentioned long ago, would be to either
add a facility to the ticket machines to "close my journey NOW", or
simpler (but more expensive) have a "close my journey NOW" validator
somewhere on the concourse.

I see no reason why the concept of OSI needs to be such a secret and you
could have dumbed-down signs saying something like:

"Finished your journey? Touch the purple validator to ensure you
are charged the correct fare".

If you wanted the general public to avoid the problem.

How would that work with gates, by far the majority touching out method? Any
rational person would expect that exiting by a gate would close a journey.
If you find out only months later that it didn't TfL say "stuff you".

--
Colin Rosenstiel