Old December 18th 12, 11:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
77002 77002 is offline

Default Not-very dry run for 150-year anniversary Met steam

On 18 Dec, 08:50, Nick Leverton wrote:
In article ,

e27002 wrote:
On 17 Dec, 13:46, "Richard J." wrote:
Recliner wrote on 17 December 2012 11:08:58 ...

Steam train back on tube track for 150-year anniversary celebrations

[snip]
From:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/de...ndon-undergrou....

There's another great photo in the Standard's report

athttp://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/full-circle-120yearold-steam....

--

Which section was tube track? *AFIK Earls Court to Moorgate is all sub-
surface. *Moreover, one cannot bring back something which never

It's a colloquialism.

Indeed so. It dates back to the opening of London’s deep level lines
bored thru London Clay. In 1900 the Central London Railway was opened
and became known as the 'Tuppenny Tube'. This of course was because
of its price and the shape of the bored tunnels. At 2d (a little
under 0.5p) the price was actually a little on the high side.

The tube routes should never be confused with the earlier sub surface
lines. Although I guess we should not be surprised that this is lost
on the bourgeois communists at the Guardian.

We use them in this country.

Of course, but given that misc.transport.urban-transit is an
international group, you might want to name the country in question.