Old December 18th 12, 08:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
Charles Ellson[_2_] Charles Ellson[_2_] is offline

Default Not-very dry run for 150-year anniversary Met steam

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 10:29:52 -0600, Recliner

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 05:51:55 -0800 (PST), 77002
wrote:

On 18 Dec, 13:40, wrote:
On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 23:47:20 -0800 (PST), e27002

Which section was tube track? AFIK Earls Court to Moorgate is all sub-
surface. Moreover, one cannot bring back something which never
existed. The tube lines were electric from their beginning.

Existing ones might have been, The Tower subway was cable operated.

Accepted. And, the cable may have been run thru a stationary steam
engine. The power for the electric lines may have been steam
generated. But, NO tube lines ever had a steam motive power unit
within its consist whilst running in the deep level tunnels.

Not for passenger operation,the Central London Railway had two
Hunslets built to tube gauge for maintenance trains.
Unfortunately no photo seems to be around on the WWW to link to,
In a book I have they look quite smart. Dual fired ,on coal or oil.

I wonder if they ever rescued a passenger train?

According to Wonkypaedia, once the railway opened for passenger
service they seldom entered the tunnels and were used mainly for
shunting coal wagons at Wood Lane.