Old December 26th 12, 03:25 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
e27002 e27002 is offline

Default Size of KX new forecourt

On 25 Dec, 20:31, Roland Perry wrote:
Slow news day, so another story about the KX forecourt restoration.

But they say it's 7,000 sqm, whereas my back of the envelope calculation
says it's a triangle equivalent to 100x80 (4,000 sqm) less the area of
the stairs in the bottom left down to the TfL booking hall.

So perhaps 3,500 sqm.

Did they tell the PR agency it's 100m x 70m, and forget to mention it
was triangular? Or what else could explain the huge disparity.

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/kx-square.jpg

Roland,

I do not have an answer to your question. However, this is a good
opportunity to jump in and say how well the new arrangements at Kings
Cross Network Rail station work. Passing thru the station, on the way
to Leeds, in early December, I was impressed with the improvement in
passenger flow. I ate on the upper level. When my platform was
shown, it was a quick walk over the new footbridge, and down an
escalator to reach my train. And, oh what joy to see the carbuncle in
front of the station coming down.

OTOH The new TfL arrangement is less than impressive. The route from
the Victoria line to the new ticket hall/exit is very long with no
travelators, or warning. Someone with limited mobility could easily
find himself in discomfort, or worse, difficulty.