Old December 30th 12, 08:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Step free

In message , at 19:37:13 on Sun,
30 Dec 2012, Mike Bristow remarked:

ps. I'm a bit disappointed that TfL (like many others) conflate
'disabled' with 'in a wheelchair'.

They don't.

From your link below:

Disabled badge I need step free access...

There are many other disabilities
which can significantly affect people's ability to use public transport,
but aren't affected by step-free-ness.

Indeed; and TfL have sensible policies for helping those with visual
imparments (VIPs!), for example.

That's another small category - what about the rest?

I would have no issue if they went beyond their wheelchair symbol
and actually described the relevant stations as "step free",

That's exactly what the do. See, for example, the Step-free Tube guide
on http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/1106.aspx which details in great
detail the steps you will encounter when using any given station.

But if that's all they mean by "disabled access", then they have
performed the conflation.