Old December 31st 12, 12:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Step free

Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 19:37:13 on Sun,
30 Dec 2012, Mike Bristow remarked:

ps. I'm a bit disappointed that TfL (like many others) conflate
'disabled' with 'in a wheelchair'.

They don't.

From your link below:

Disabled badge I need step free access...

Yes. That disabled badge is the International Symbol of Access. It is
used to indicate where access has been improved for all disability issues
(although there is more of a focus on using it where the improvment is for
mobility issues, in practice).

There are many other disabilities
which can significantly affect people's ability to use public transport,
but aren't affected by step-free-ness.

Indeed; and TfL have sensible policies for helping those with visual
imparments (VIPs!), for example.

That's another small category - what about the rest?

TfL do a lot (they could do a lot more, of course). Things like
high-contrast floring and poles where approprate; good signage;
good staff training; MIP lifts; information on their web site;
the fact that trains these days have automated audible annoucments;
the fact that trains these days have automated visual annoucments;
tactile flooring; and so on.

They are by no means perfect - Peter White and my wife travelled
between Heathrow and Stratford several times in the run up to the
paralympics to highlight access issues to TfL, of which there were
many - but I do not doubt TfLs willingness to do more than mere
lip service.

As an aside, it took me quite a while of Y&Y listening to even realise that
the wonderful Peter White was blind. He copes impressively well, and far
better than most of us would do if we ever lost our sight. He rarely
mentions his disability and never moans (as well as being an excellent
presenter, regardless of sight).