Old December 31st 12, 11:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

Default Crossrail 2

Robin9 wrote:
Last Saturday Peter Hendy was one of the guests on Ken Livingstone's LBC
programme.
HS2 was discussed and Hendy said he believed it would go ahead but that

Crossrail 2 would be essential to cope with the number of passengers at
Euston.

Now, first I'm not sure that HS2 will massively increase the number of
passengers alighting at Euston. How many trains an hour are going to
arrive at
Euston? Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Second, this was the first I had heard about Crossrail 2. It seems this
is the old
Hackney/Chelsea line idea but changed from being a tube line to a full
size
railway. Will that not greatly increase the costs? How far advanced is
this idea
and are there any plans to extend the line beyond either Hackney or
Chelsea?

Extending 'Chelney' as a ne/sw heavy rail link taking over parts of the
existing SWT and GA inner suburban routes and hence known as Crossrail 2 is
covered at length in a number of reports published by both TfL and NR. I'd
estimate it has been public domain for at least a couple of years, probably
longer.

I'd have difficulty providing up to date web links from my mobile device,
but if you can find the NR London and SE RUS online it would be a good
starting point.

When considering HS2 don't forget that the full Y-route is intended to
consolidate a lot of flows into Euston that currently arrive at St Pancras
and Kings Cross.

Paul