Old January 6th 13, 07:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london
kenw[_3_] kenw[_3_] is offline

Default Where to see the steam runs on the Underground?

Dear all

Maybe I'm not fully awake at 0700 on a Sunday – althoughI have already
done some work – but I've spent 15-20 fruitless minutes trying to find
one important detail of the upcoming steam runs:

Where's the best place to watch them.

Searching Usenet and Web have found information about the panel
discussion, about the loco and carriages, a dash of history, lots of
useless junk and of cours a dash of pedantry. And far be it from me as
a former newspaper subeditor, who would refer to the Games of the XXX
Olympiad taking place in several stadia, to decry the latter.

But right now I don't want to debate the social politics of a
particular newspaper, the culinary skills or otherwise of a Rubenesque
woman whose father was a politician, and far less do I want to amuse
myself with the debate of nomenclature of public transport systems.

What I DO want to do is know where to go with cameras – and when – to
watch what promises to be an interesting event. And if at least one
such location and time would be suitable for an old chap with limited
mobility, so much the better.

Given the wealth of information and knowledge propogated here, I look
forward to someone pointing me in the appropriate direction.

And BTW, for those who believe the Daily Mail to be a worthless
publication, today's [online] edition has an interesting lead

Thousands are hit by fare hikes... but not the rail minister who spends
£80,000 on a CHAUFFEUR for his 35-mile commute

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-commute.html

Many thanks

Kenw

[use the above as ]