Old January 9th 13, 11:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Art Deco Icons

On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 12:42:04PM +0000, wrote:

Be interesting how long Southampton Central stays this bright.
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3077438

My late grandfather (A H Cantrell, chief civil engineer for the Southern
region of BR) was *most* uncomplimentary about the roof over the
concourse at London Bridge station, as rebuilt in, I think, 1978. The
glass pyramids were supposed to let light in, but he pointed out,
correctly, that they would get filthy and would be hard to clean.

In latter years the few bits of them that weren't covered in soot and
bird **** seemed to be covered in moss.

But now it appears to be being demolished, to be replaced with a
gigantic expanse of glass. Modern glass coatings will do a pretty
decent job of keeping dirt off, and the shape of the roof will be easier
to clean when dirt does eventually manage to stick.

Just because it is possible to do this sort of thing
in the English language doesn't mean it should be done