Old January 12th 13, 03:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default S7 Stock to Barking

In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 08:22:01 -0600,

wrote:

In article

,
(Recliner) wrote:

wrote:
In article ,

(Clive D. W. Feather) wrote:

In message

,
Recliner wrote:
The 83 stock was designed for the original Jubilee Line,
[...]
But why was the stock simply scrapped, rather than cascaded to
another line, as had been suggested at the time? I thought the
mechanical reliability was a factor.

It may have been, but I believe one reason was that there wasn't
anywhere that it made sense to use it. There was some talk of an
Ealing Broadway to High Street Ken service, but it fell through.

And why weren't they offered to the Isle of Wight?

Presumably they were.

I suppose I should have asked why they didn't go to the Isle of Wight.
They're only 45 years younger than the present trains there.

I don't know for sure, but here's some possibilities:
- The existing 38 stock wasn't worn out, and doesn't do many miles a
year, so why replace it prematurely. After all, 'new' secondhand Tube
stock is bound to become available every few years.

Hardly!

- The 83 stock had acquired a reputation as problematic and was best
avoided.

Possible.

- The mixed Aluminium/Steel construction is a corrosion risk in very
salty conditions.

That last issue would preclude the use of any tube stock on the Island in
future, wouldn't it?

--
Colin Rosenstiel