Old January 14th 13, 07:08 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
[email protected] hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default S7 Stock to Barking

On 14/01/2013 11:31, Paul Corfield wrote:
On 14 Jan 2013 09:33:38 GMT, Neil Williams
wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:

On the trams they have little gates at the exit doors, to make sure
people "touch out". I think it's the only place I've ever seen other than
an unimpeded exit from a bus or tram.

If you mean Amsterdam, aren't they just one-way gates as found on some
bendy buses in the UK? I think they were there before.

That's what they looked like when I was last there. The concept dates
back to when conductors were put on Amsterdam's trams. Open boarding
was abolished in favour of boarding via certain doors and exiting via
others. Gates were put on the exit only doors to try to prevent people
dodging on and not going past the conductor booth. I think I even saw
some of the modern trams with conductors still on board but my memory
may be playing tricks.

The last time I was in Amsterdam, about 7 years ago, the newer trams had
conductors who sat in a booth and would stamp your strippenkaart as you
boarded.

Are they no longer there?