Old January 14th 13, 07:27 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default S7 Stock to Barking

In message , at 19:24:58 on
Mon, 14 Jan 2013, Roger Lynn remarked:
Out in the provinces the existence of "all day" tickets (typically
around £4) means people only have to pay once, and combine that with an
"exact change only" policy and it's quicker overall than having people
fumbling in their purses to find their bus pass.

Unfortunately my job is moving to Swindon, where apparently many of the
buses are "exact change only". I thought that sort of thing had gone out 30
years ago. It makes me very reluctant to use the buses because I can't be
sure of having the correct fare, especially if I have no idea what the fare
would be and the only way to find out the fare seems is to get on a bus and
ask. This is extremely unfriendly to passengers.

Where I lived in Nottingham it was very simple. That daily cash fare was
£3.40 advertised on all buses, all bus stops, and that miracle of modern
technology the Interweb.

If you didn't want to find the change for every trip you bought a pre-
pay carnet smartcard where each day was discounted (by up to 38%):

http://www.nctx.co.uk/nct-fares/easy...ider-citycard-
anytime-adult/

Even cheaper to buy the equivalent of a season ticket.

I don't know if they have a similar scheme in Swindon.