Old January 15th 13, 10:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Clive D. W. Feather[_2_] Clive D. W. Feather[_2_] is offline

Default London Underground superlatives: the oldest … the largest?

In message ,
wrote:
On Friday, January 11, 2013 11:52:08 PM UTC, Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
The additional tracks from North Acton to West Ruislip were built by
the GWR but always intended for the Central Line, and when they were
opened in 1947 the GWR local servicewas withdrawn (though Greenford
Main Line station had one up train a day as late as 1964).

I've classed these, and the similar tracks of the District Line running
beside the LTSR, as "takeover".

I disagree.

Fine. Do your own analysis.

All the Central line western extension was built alongside and in
addition to the GW: no infrastructure was taken over, so IMV it should
all be classed as new build. Admittedly the train service replaced the
existing GW one, but on entirely new tracks.

It was a takeover of the route, so I classed it as that. The original
claim was that there was very little "new build", so I did the numbers
using a conservative definition. Nothing stops you doing the
calculations with your own definition - all the information I used is on
my web site.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org