Old April 5th 04, 09:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Subway (New York) vs Underground (London) [Quite long]

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 13:38:45 -0700, Dominic wrote:

IMO one of the best features of London Underground is that maps and
other leaflets about fares etc. are so readily available; you can just
help yourself from the leaflet racks at any station. I've been on the
NY Subway and the Paris Metro and other systems in the past few years.
Am I right in thinking that London Underground is one of best at
providing information like this?

I'd say so; much as Hamburg's system is superb, there's very little in the
way of printed literature in comparison with LUL, or indeed most other
British rail systems (except the notorious Manchester Metrolink!)

I think having staffed stations helps, as it means leaflets can be left on
display without much risk of them being distributed all over the floor.
Hamburg's system has very few stations with staffed ticket offices (though
some have staff on the platforms) so it's more difficult to offer this.

In fact, there are a few underground stations in Hamburg which appear to
be totally unstaffed - bet you'd not get away with that in the UK!

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
Mail me on neil at the above domain; mail to the above address is NOT read