Old April 5th 04, 11:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Bienwald Martin Bienwald is offline

Default Change from machine

Edward Cowling wrote:

: Well it took my note and much to my amazement actually
: printed out a ticket. Then it gave me 16 quid change in
: two pound coins !! Arrrggh !

: Surely machines this clever should be able to give back
: notes ?

Probably not. While it's trivial to ensure that exactly N coins are given
back, this is rather difficult to achieve with notes. Bank ATMs *can* do
it, but they need rather expensive machinery *and* are using specially
prepared ("ironed") notes. Ticket machines typically give back coins they
got from previous customers, and I can't see how this should work with notes.

.... Martin