Old January 23rd 13, 08:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard Richard is offline

Default Heathrow Connect and Oyster

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 07:57:58 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 16:46:51
on Sun, 20 Jan 2013, remarked:

Premium (extra cost) services to airports are very much the norm.

Examples? No premiums to the last two European airports I've used.

There's a premium on the metro to Madrid airport [...]

....although it doesn't apply to any "period" tickets, including the
tourist n-day tickets. When I used it the premium would have been one
euro, not much but still quite controversial there.

As you hint, there's no premium that I can remember on the suburban
trains, which like in Barcelona have a relatively infrequent service
to the airport.

RENFE avoid needing to declare a premium for Barcelona airport by
tweaking the zone boundaries to put it in zone 4. I only found out
recently that the transport authority's zones are different, and the
*very* reasonable one-zone fare is enough to get there on their
tickets. Eventually we'll be able to get the metro there, to a
station that like many Spanish main-line stations' metro stops will
leave you *just* outside where you want to go. Territorial disputes?

Richard.