Old February 10th 13, 08:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
James Heaton[_3_] James Heaton[_3_] is offline

Default No crossed lines at King's Cross

wrote in message ...
On 09/02/2013 13:27, Mizter T wrote:
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/6538.aspx
says...

---quote---
Telephones

There are no public telephones at the station.

The nearest ones are over the road in the entrance to King's Cross St
Pancras Underground.
---/quote---

I appreciate that public payphones are rather 20th century, but I'm
still a tad surprised by this.

On a related note, are there any subterranean payphones (i.e. deep
platform level) on the London Underground network still in existence? If
not, when did the last one go?

(And apologies for the slightly laboured subject line!)

When did the Cadbury vending machines also go?

Definitely there in 1998 give or take a year either side. I remember being
very annoyed when one (Paddington, circle line towards Liverpool Street)
gave me a packet of mints rather than dairy milk.

I was rather hard up at the time (studying) and couldn't spare the cash to
try again!

To return to the subject - the phones on platform 1 at Paddington were a
nightmare - if there was a train in, you couldn't actually hear anything! I
used to shout my time of arrival down the phone and hope for the best -
invariably someone seemed to meet me!

James