Old February 11th 13, 09:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Chris Lonsbrough Chris Lonsbrough is offline

Default No crossed lines at King's Cross

When did the Cadbury vending machines also go?

When there was some concern about them potentially catching fire, IIRC.
Not something LU takes any chances about these days (quite rightly).

I am not sure that is correct. The Cadburys machines were installed
long after the fire regulations applied to LU stations. The machines
would have had to have been compliant or else have approved waivers
based on a risk assessment.

I believe the Cadburys contract was terminated as part of a move to
reduce clutter on stations and platforms. I think the LU MD decided
that stations looked very cluttered and messy and that a preponderance
of machines also caused congestion on the busiest / narrowest
platforms. It also added cost to station refurbs and mods with
machines having to be removed and then reinstalled thus incurring
extra cost. Happy to be corrected but I'm sure that was the line I
heard at the time.

I believe (from vague and fading memory...) sometime around Jul/Aug/Sep
2007 ...

I think that several factors came together at that time, IIRC one of the
servicing Contractors went bust, profitability was marginal, grief was
high, there were security concerns (because of recent events) over
platform "clutter" and LU was attempting to smarten things up a bit
before the Olympics ...

Cadbury (who had held the Master Contract since 2001) threw in the towel ...

Chris