Old February 12th 13, 12:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Peter CS Peter CS is offline

Default No crossed lines at King's Cross

Roland Perry wrote in
news
Whereabouts were the BT phones? I can't picture them at all. The
concourse at Baker St is the sort of place I might have looked, but not
down on the tube platforms.

They were mounted on a panel, usually together with a chocolate machine.
The phones where the ones that took a green phonecard, and that system went
out a good number of years ago. They were quite widespread for a time on
the platforms, at least in central London. I don't think they were used a
lot, partly because there was no acoustic shielding and the noise level on
a tube platform makes converstion hard, but they were quite useful for the
'I'll be home in 40 minutes' calls before we all had mobiles.

Peter

--
|| Peter CS ~ Epsom ~ UK | pjcs02 [at] gmail.com |