Old February 12th 13, 12:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default No crossed lines at King's Cross

In message , at 13:25:24 on Tue, 12
Feb 2013, Peter CS remarked:
Whereabouts were the BT phones? I can't picture them at all. The
concourse at Baker St is the sort of place I might have looked, but not
down on the tube platforms.

They were mounted on a panel, usually together with a chocolate machine.
The phones where the ones that took a green phonecard, and that system went
out a good number of years ago. They were quite widespread for a time on
the platforms, at least in central London. I don't think they were used a
lot, partly because there was no acoustic shielding and the noise level on
a tube platform makes converstion hard, but they were quite useful for the
'I'll be home in 40 minutes' calls before we all had mobiles.

Not that mobiles work on tube platforms... but making calls like that on
Rabbit was one of the attractions.