Old February 21st 13, 10:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] spud-u-dont-like@potato.field is offline

Default Old posters discovered in Notting Hill Tube Station

On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 10:56:26 +0000 (UTC)
Nick Leverton wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 15:45:37 -0600
Recliner wrote:
Came across this story on Twitter:
"In the late 1950s, the Notting Hill tube station underwent a major
overhaul when the old lifts that transported passengers to and from the
train platforms were abandoned and replaced with modern escalators. The
passageways to the lifts were sealed off too and everything within them was
subsequently frozen in time.

Hmm, I often wonder why they do that. If you seal up tunnels you may well
get a build up of unpleasent gases in there not to mention the possibility
of them becoming flooded which doesn't bode well for the poor sods who
"rediscover" them some time in the future.

From the places I've been and/or seen photos of, the "sealing" usually
consists of fitting a grill and a door, locking it and putting the key
in a safe place ! Not the hermetic sort of seal that you perhaps imagine.
After all even disused tunnels need access for inspection and maintenance.
There are other stations with sealed-off-from-the-public passageways
showing old posters also.

Its hard to tell from those pics but it looks like the sealing up was done
with bricks and mortar which would be a fairly airtight seal.

Spud