Old March 4th 13, 12:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard Richard is offline

Default foreign contactless cards on Buses (MR article)

On Sat, 2 Mar 2013 10:56:11 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 10:36:05 on
Sat, 2 Mar 2013, Richard remarked:

I understand the need to launch the thing in stages, so buses first
makes a lot of sense, but I think that foreign card acceptance is one
thing that should have been sorted-out first. It is just asking for
trouble, argument and confusion in a great tourist destination.

AFAIK, the problem is in getting foreign card issuers to buy into the
feature whereby the cardholder is *never* asked for a PIN (on TfL or
other transport operators), which requires some new flag setting as well
the card issuer dealing with fraudulent purchases slightly differently.

Ah, well that sounds reasonable. I would have said that the UK-only
nature of it should be made more clear, but then the whole thing is
largely unadvertised so far, maybe for good reason.

Richard.