Old April 3rd 13, 10:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default taxi fares in London

On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 07:46:16AM +0100, Basil Jet wrote:

All London licensed minicabs are exempt from the CC. Anyone can get any
vehicle, even a pickup truck, registered as a minicab and so become
exempt from CC without being involved in any minicab company. If some
company is telling the passenger that they have to pay it so that they
can pass that charge on to the passenger, you should name and shame the
company, because either they are passing on a non-existent charge
(immoral and possibly illegal) or they are using vehicles which are not
licensed as minicabs (illegal).

Or they're one of the unfortunates who are based just outside the CC
area, so are legal and licenced but not licenced by the PCO, and have
lots of their business taking people into town. Now, obviously they
can't just pick people up off the street, but AFAIK it *is* kosher for
someone living in the CC area who wants to go to, say, Guildford, to
phone a cab company in Guildford and ask them to pick him up. I've
certainly done it anyway, phoning a taxi company based in Caterham
to come and pick me up in London.

--
David Cantrell | Pope | First Church of the Symmetrical Internet

The word "urgent" is the moral of the story "The boy who cried wolf". As
a general rule I don't believe it until a manager comes to me almost in
tears. I like to catch them in a cup and drink them later.
-- Matt Holiab, in the Monastery