Old April 6th 04, 08:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Subway (New York) vs Underground (London) [Quite long]

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 20:42:26 +0100, Annabel Smyth wrote:

True, but it's still run by TfL, and they still require tickets, and
sell tickets.....

That's not the issue - an Underground station must be staffed for safety
reasons (in case an evacuation is required) because of being, umm,
underground. There have been recorded instances of stations being closed
on LUL due to short staffing.

Admittedly most of Hamburg's stations are much closer to the surface, but
Hauptbahnhof-Nord is a deep-level tube station and to my knowledge is not
staffed at any time.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
Mail me on neil at the above domain; mail to the above address is NOT read