Old May 7th 13, 03:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
tim...... tim...... is offline

Default Heathrow Expansion Bombshell

"Recliner" wrote in message
Neil Williams wrote:
Recliner wrote:

Exactly. Heathrow is oversubscribed, while Stansted struggles for
business.
The customers want more capacity at Heathrow area, not east or northeast
of
London.

No, they want extra capacity at the main London airport (with lots of
airlines and passengers) which happens to be Heathrow. If Heathrow
closed,
it wouldn't be any more.

It's a self fulfilling prophecy, not an overriding desire to visit Slough
on holiday.

Businesses (including company head offices, caterers, hotels, air freight
companies, airline offices, people who need to travel a lot, etc) have
located around Heathrow, and they want the main London hub to remain in
the
area.

This is a tiny percentage of the total demand for air travel.

There are just as many businesses at other locations around the country who
would quite happily have the airport somewhere else.

I don't think that we should be lead by (random) Company X saying "we must
have the main airport 10 minutes away". That's a silly way to make a
decision

It also has much better transport links than other London airports.

Only because it's the closest, but it is that very closeness that makes it
the most unsuitable for expansion.

tim