Old July 18th 03, 03:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Tube door opening and closing times

"Centaur" wrote in message

"Michael Bell" wrote in message
The time wasted on opening and closing the tube doors
has always irritated me.

Yes I agree time is lost, bear in mind of course that on the Central
the circuitry has to 'make' when the train stops over the PAC
[Platform ATO Communications Transmit/Receive] at platform stopping
marks.

IMHO there's no "of course" about this delay. Isn't it possible to detect
that the train has stopped and that it's in the correct position in a small
fraction of a second? A delay of 2 seconds per station means you need an
extra train on the Central line, so it's not trivial.
--
Richard J.