Old May 8th 13, 12:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Heathrow Expansion Bombshell

On Wed, 8 May 2013 11:21:38 +0000 (UTC), d
wrote:

On Wed, 08 May 2013 11:42:08 +0100
Recliner wrote:
On Wed, 8 May 2013 10:36:00 +0000 (UTC),
A "hub" is of little benefit to anyone other than the airport itself since
by definition most of the passengers and freight will simply be passing
through. Any tired old economic growth arguments put forward in support are
specious and are purely self interest.

There are enough runways in the SE. We don't need anymore just to bolster the
share price of Ferrovia or get Boris a seat on the board of a construction
company when he finally gets bored of playing at being Major.

Sigh Hub airports allow many more secondary destinations to be
served directly than would be viable otherwise, thus benefiting local
businesses and citizens. For example, I'd like to be able to fly
directly to cities like Santiago without having to change, as is
currently required. This has been discussed here at length in the
past.

Err , the point of a hub airport is that you DO change planes. You seem to be
conflating hub with simply a larger airport.

As an aside I don't give a rats backside about you being able to fly
directly somewhere. I wouldn't expect railway lines or motorways to be built
direct from London to every small town and city in europe so I'm not sure why
you should expect to always be able to fly direct to anywhere you suddenly
decide to go. If changing is a problem - don't go.

It appears that you don't fly internationally (or at all?).