Old May 25th 13, 01:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Roll-Pickering Tim Roll-Pickering is offline

Default Clapham Junction Oyster readers

Paul Corfield wrote:

There used to be "in / out" validators on
the overground platform but they were removed when the works were done
to expand the platforms and stairs for the new Overground service. I
have read somewhere that SWT refused to have *any* Oyster validators
on any platform at Clapham Junction because of fraud concerns. This
forces people who need to break or start / end journeys to exit and
re-enter. This applies for people with Travelcards who are within
their validity. Solely using PAYG means you'd be charged via Z1 even
if you didn't go that route because there is only one default fare for
many origin / destination pairs. I suspect, but cannot prove, that
this is also a demand from SWT which boosts their share of revenue for
such journeys.

Is this the same for travel from south London to east London via the, erm,
new Overground route? (Are we supposed to call it the "South London Line" or
is that name still for broader services?) A few weeks ago I was travelling
back from Croydon and decided to give the new route a try. I couldn't find
any platform readers at Clapham so assumed the system is sufficiently
intelligent that they aren't need it and it would automatically know I'd
gone this way. Later in the journey I used the pink validators at Canada
Water which I've always understood to be a way of signalling travel outside
Zone 1 but this thread has left me less sure.

And just to complicate matters, I could in theory have taken a stopper from
East Croydon and changed onto the East London line en route and gone nowhere
near Clapham Junction without making any different touch ins and outs.

--
My blog: http://adf.ly/4hi4c