Old June 5th 13, 07:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube Lines Could Be Sponsored To Reduce Fares

In article ,
(Tim Roll-Pickering) wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

Mind you Boris has said that Crossrail should be called the "Queen
Elizabeth Line" today.

Funny I thought it was called Crossrail which is a very long
standing
name which people seem to understand.

Well the "Channel Tunnel Rail Link" has effectively been renamed
"High Speed 1" which is less informative even if it does carry non
Channel services on it.

Is there any precedent for naming what is really a National Rail
service, albeit procured by TfL? Only LU has named lines.

Others have been mentioned but there's also the North London Line
name which was in heavy use in BR/NR days. I think the GOBLIN and the
West London Line are unofficial though.

Boris's suggestion will simply become the "Queenie Tube" or "Lizzie
Line" or somesuch. The proposed name is too long - tube lines are
nearly always named with a single word (Victoria) or composite
(Bakerloo). East London had some geographic reasoning as did
Hammersmith and City although that's a recent invention.

Wasn't there a Hammersmith & City Railway who built part of that line
originally?

Sort of. It was a Metropolitan and Great Western Joint line.

--
Colin Rosenstiel