Old June 19th 13, 08:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default authentic english village near London

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 09:06:18 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

in a few days I will be in London for a short visit. My wife never was
in England and I would love to show her something of the old rural
England. Where should I go for an one day visit in an ancient english
village? Thank you for a tip.

Windsor isn't strictly a village, but the 'historic centre' is quite
compact. If going by train you could get off part-way and explore
Datchet.

Whilst Windsor and Eton are lovely, and well worth a daytrip, they're not
really "old rural England". Datchet must've changed a heck of a lot since
I used to live on that end of Slough... grin

It's not easy to find anywhere "old rural England" without a bit of a
trek out from the centre of London - but easiest is probably to get a
Metropolitan line train out towards Amersham, off at Chorleywood, over
the common towards Chorleywood House, then there's some very pleasant
walks in the Chess Valley. Chenies is a lovely village within easy
walking distance of the tube station, with a very good "traditional" pub,
the Red Lion. Depending on how long a walk you want, Sarratt is also near
- again, nice little village with a couple of good pubs.

But the classic "day trip for Olde Worlde" from London has to be the
Cotswolds.