Old June 19th 13, 02:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mike Bristow Mike Bristow is offline

Default authentic english village near London

In article ,
antoine wrote:
Dear readers,
in a few days I will be in London for a short visit. My wife never was in
England and I would love to show her something of the old rural England.
Where should I go for an one day visit in an ancient english village?
Thank you for a tip.

Train to Guildford (40 min from Waterloo) then train to Dorking via
the North Downs Line. Dap out at each station and have a wander -
if you're lucky, they'll be cricket at Shalford, you can drop into
the mill at Gomshall - and Abinger Hammer is lovely.

Or tube to the eastern end of the Central line - Theydon, and
Loughton are all reasonable points to head into the forest and
retain something of a villagey feel for all that they're in the
London conurbation, and from Epping you can head via vintage bus
and steam hauled train to Ongar, which is quite villagey indeed.

Cheers,

--
Mike Bristow