Old June 20th 13, 07:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Clank Clank is offline

Default Pelican Crossings

Robin9 wrote:
Colin McKenzie;137412 Wrote:
On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 23:35:53 +0100,
wrote:-
BTW, I've noticed for a while now that the green on pedestrian crossing

signals no longer flash flash, but rather go dark.-

The crossings are also supposed to be clever enough not to stop traffic
if
the pedestrian who pressed the button crosses before the lights change,
or
goes away.

That will be an improvement. The current system wherein the pedestrian
has crossed the road and is now a hundred yards away but the traffic is
still
not allowed to move is ludicrous and annoying.

Is it really ludicrous? Do you often think "heavens, what madness must
have been visited upon this place that the signal remains red and yet I
could travel without killing anyone? My word, what kind of mad world
exists in which I have to share a public highway with other people and the
priority is not given to me? Insanity!"

If so, you must be a barrel of laughs at light controlled junctions. "The
light is red and yet there is no vehicle crossing in front of me - madness
has taken over the world! I must press on lest this ludicrous situation is
allowed to prevail!"

I bet you're one of those people incapable of picking the correct lane or
indicating properly at roundabouts... "I shall not let any lunatic notions
hinder my progress!"