Old June 24th 13, 09:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] spud-u-dont-like@potato.field is offline

Default The Boris Bus.

On 24 Jun 2013 09:06:02 GMT
Neil Williams wrote:
wrote:

I wonder if an area with steep hills is the best place to use a hybrid. On
the one hand you can recover a lot of energy going down the hill, on the
other I can imagine a lot of overheating traction motors going up highgate
hill. If the route goes that way of course.

That's one thing. Another thing is when crawling in traffic the engine can
be (and is on London hybrids) turned off completely, leading to less wasted
fuel idling, and less pollution at the point of use.

True, but then if we did what is common around the rest of the world - ie
use trolleybuses which have zero point of use emissions - then complicated
hybrids would be unnecessary in the first place. But that might mean admitting
that we made a mistake getting rid of them and that we really don't have a clue
anymore when it comes to public transport in the UK.

--
Spud