Old June 30th 13, 07:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Stephen Furley[_2_] Stephen Furley[_2_] is offline

Default 8.5% cut in central govt grant to TfL; suburban West Anglia trainsto be devolved to TfL control

"Robin9" wrote in message ...

'Stephen Furley[_2_ Wrote:
If the curve towards Kentish Town and St. Pancras hadn't been
obliterated
could any case have been made for a service via that route to somewhere
on
the Southern. South to East travel in London often seems to be poorly
catered for. That curve could not now be re-instated.

Which curve are you referring to? Scanning an old Ian Allen gazetteer,
it seems that once there were two leading off from between Upper Holloway
and Gospel Oak going towards Kentish Town. Are they both closed and
unrestorable?

Yes.

Long, long ago I occasionally travelled from Leyton Midland to St.
Pancras.
From Upper Holloway, we took the descending line which is still used by

freight trains. We came to a junction immediately prior to tunnels. One
tunnel lead to Kentish Town and St. Pancras and the other lead to the
Midland
Line going towards Cricklewood.

I've often wondered if the route towards St. Pancras is still navigable.
As, in order to maximise utilisation of the Thames Link route, several
improbable services have been suggested, it seems to me that a
Barking/Upper
Holloway/St Pancras International/South London service might not be a
bad idea.

The freight line leaves the route to Gospel Oak at Junction Road Junction,
and joins the route towards Cricklewood at Carlton Road Junction. There
used to be a triangle here with the third side leading to Kentish Town and
St. Pancras. I think the other two junctions were Engine Shed Junction and
Mortimer Street Junction.

The Barking service was cut back from St. Pancras to Kentish Town long ago;
I don't know when. At some time, probably in the late '70s or early '80s
the service was diverted into Gospel Oak, as a connection with the North
London was thought to be more useful than terminating at Kentish Town. The
third side of the triangle was lifted and filled in.

I'm not sure what the other route to Kentish town was used for; depot
access? I've only seen it on old maps.