Old July 15th 13, 05:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default NB4L production buses

On 15/07/2013 16:28, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 13:24:51 +0000 (UTC), Peter CS
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote in
:

His [Boris's] first term promise to deliver new orbital bus services
was killed off on cost grounds after the X26 trial.

Do you mean that the X26 trial was regarded as unsuccessful? Every time
I use it, it seems pretty busy - often with standing passengers between
Sutton and Kingston or beyond. Is the 30 minute frequency still regarded as
a trial?

Yes it was deemed unsuccessful because although there was an increase
in usage the resultant revenue in no way covered the extra costs nor
were there compensating passenger benefits. Read the TfL Panel paper
from about 4 years ago.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...s-Services.pdf

I know it is very busy - it always has been when I've used it. When
you're fighting for a seat at East Croydon station you know you've got
a problem!

The current service level has been preserved despite the extra cost in
subsidy. I think it was politically unacceptable to try to go back to
an hourly service. The service has since been retendered so there
might have been some decrease in costs as a result of competitive
bidding for the contract.

I've heard claims recently that X26 drivers have been refusing to carry
passengers with luggage, causing much confusion at Heathrow.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK